Monday, May 24, 2010

Canadian Winter? Psshh!


Canadian
WORD OF THE DAY: Tim Horton’s




Tim Horton’s is a small mom and pop coffee shop - frequented by about 3 million Canadians a day. Friendly little place where you can sit down to a cup o’ Joe and doughnut for no more than a
toonie (for more info stay tuned to WORD OF THE DAY). All good Canadians are put at ease when they pass a Tim Horton’s, knowing, just inside, is a kitchen like mom's, and an old mustached cashier woman (like mom!). Insiders tip: watch out for their blended iced coffees – known to hit the bloodstream with the same force as crack.

…......................................................................................................................................

Ah, ice.
That brings me to today’s subject.

Canadian winter. Otherwise known as the reason number one Ei and I were crazy to want to move to Canada. Up north it's not just cold. Snow doesn't just flurry. To Canadians, the half-inch snow “storms” that shut down the D.C. metro are a pathetic excuse for a joke.

Hailing from Syracuse, New York, Ei was pretty prepared for winter when she moved here. I, on the other hand, was terrified. When I first arrived, late last summer, it was already on my mind.

August quickly turned to September and I rushed to Value Village’s coat rack. September became October – I invested in some long johns. October became November and I stocked hats, socks, mittens, scarves, and bubble wrap. I was proactively peeing my pants. Snow up to my waist piled in my mind’s eye. Ei prepped me for the tricks of the natives – toques, coffee shops, underground paths.

And then December hit. Hit D.C., that is. Toronto had sunshine, D.C. – snowbanks. I went home for the holidays to a winter wonderland, and returned to a mild and ice-free city.

January – blizzard number two for the states. Yet another in February. Word on the street, my poor countrymen’s grocery stores had been completely cleared of stock. They were shaking in their poorly insulated boots. I felt very far from home. I also felt happy. Canada had the last laugh again.

Did the same strange wind that brought me to Toronto keep all the snow away? Will next winter bury us –force us to burrow through the city like mole-men?

In the mean time, what will I do with my new turquoise onesie?

1 comment:

  1. Your dear old mustached mother sounds like a cutie. Is she available?

    ReplyDelete